Monday, July 11, 2005

Almost a statistic - happy to be alive

I was almost killed on my bike this afternoon. Snuffed out like a squirrel, yowch. One moment I'm clipping along eastbound at College/Ossington, next moment my rear wheel stuck in the goddamn streetcar-track sent me flying sideways onto the asphalt toward the sidewalk. Yikes. It all happened in like 0.0005 seconds; I crashed and burned, Funniest Home Video-type stuff, but hopped up immediately on pure adrenaline and was helped to the curb by a shocked and concerned pedestrian couple. I suffered some mildly nasty roadrash and a few bleeding body parts - luckily I was able to walk right home to clean up and otherwise postpone my day by 45 minutes. But had I fallen in the other direction I would have landed right in oncoming traffic, to be mashed into roadkill a la Bonhomme. Double yikes. As it is I'm lucky to complain about my half-dozen cuts and bruises - and the fact that incessant construction along College forces bikes to weave in and out of traffic and put their lives in streetcar-track peril.

And no, I wasn't wearing a helmet. From now on I will. And you should too.

Ps Peaches' wheels were a bit out of alignment after the fall, but a little tinkering with the allen key and she should be fine. Thank heavens.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Bonhomme! This has nearly happened to me twice, though each time I have managed to wrench my tire out of the track before getting tossed over. Do not, I repeat do not attempt to ride on the South-East side of Dundas and Yonge, as a similar fate will await you there.

7/12/2005 9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home