Tuesday, July 19, 2005

A day at the races

Woodbine Racetrack. Hadn't been since 1987 -- the only memento from that long-ago visit is a photo of my brother and me, posing at the Woodbine Centre's Fantasy Fair after a scorching afternoon at the Queen's Plate. I do believe I was the only person there in red shorts and suspenders. Will post as soon as I find that picture.
I played the wuss and made most of my wagers on PLACING rather than WINNING. Voula showed courage and was rewarded with several big wins (as big as they get on $2 wagers). I'd forgotten how much waiting around there was at the races. The more experienced betters fill these lulls by placing wagers on races happening at other tracks. Perhaps the next time I go, and I decide to commit more than $20 to the wagers, and am not too lazy to constantly return to the wickets, I'll play along with these pros -- stand beside them below multiple monitors, cursing/cheering/bashing my rolled-up programme against my palm/shaking my head in disappointment/clapping with glee -- what the heck, I could still join them without making any bets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home