Monday, November 21, 2005

food of the gods

Shortly after 7:30 last night, Z showed up with not one, but two associates. (Where was the wine you'd promised?)

A took notes, J filmed the process. Z told her stories of blood and pus (meh), gastro-intestinal surgery (ho-hum), torture techniques during World War II (zzz...) Maybe she felt that no decent human being would be able to stomach solid food after hearing about the atrocities/science experiments done to people. (This, she referred to as her best material.)

The residents of Château Nîce could not be broken. After 20 minutes of gross-out stories, Z stopped. Our three guests watched us stuff our faces with turkey chili, tossed salad and fresh crusty bread.

We couldn't let them go hungry, so we filled their glasses with wine. We even packed them a little dinner to go. What can I say, I'm a sucker for any struggling art student who can't afford cheese (but she can afford a coat from Aritzia?)

For dessert: Voula's lovely ambrosia salad. A tasty mélange of mandarin slices, pineapple chunks, shredded coconut, grape halves, sour cream and colourful little marshmallows (the green ones are the bestest!) I gave them some of the ambrosia salad to take home, which they reluctantly accepted.

They were in and out in less than an hour. Flavio and Z had briefly discussed the Punshine shoot which was part of the deal. Something tells me that it won't be happening any time soon. Z offered to write her own pun.

F: Betcha it won't be a pun, but a play-on-words.

A thank you e-mail the next day:

L,
Thank again for the delicious chilli and bread. J tried to eat the
ambrosia, but was unable to. A and I declined to try it. I believe the boy we gave it to was very happy to eat it all.
On behalf of A and J, I would like to say that they had a lovely time, and feel bad they couldn't talk, but I would not let them.
Sincerely,
Z

How can these ladies call themselves artists if they can't take a risk? A delicious risk, if I might add. In hindsight we should have only made a vat of marshmallow heaven, faked a gross-out and watched the artist and her associates gobble the salad down. ^_^

6 Comments:

Blogger Mariza said...

What kind of gross-out artist can't stomach the thought of even trying ambrosia?

11/22/2005 1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm....ambrosia salad! If I tell you gross things, will you feed me some? I'll settle for the recipe.

11/22/2005 1:36 PM  
Blogger orange you glad said...

What the hell? I can't understand anyone refusing ambrosia - let alone some gross-out people... strange strange strange. Can you mail some to me? Never mind - that would make it the priciest ambrosia in the universe. I guess I will have to wait until my ominous return. At least then I will have something to look forward to...

11/23/2005 1:58 PM  
Blogger KarmaCake said...

Remember that Green Ambrosia the Church ladies served in Blyth?
I've never forgotten, that Ambrosia was truly the food of the Gods!

Right now, my mother cringes. Her disdain for both Jello salad and ambrosia is legendary. Perhaps its knowing that my mother disapproves what makes it taste so good!

11/23/2005 7:33 PM  
Blogger Monsieur Bonhomme said...

forget the salad - all of you just love saying 'ambrosia'. that's what this is really about.

11/24/2005 2:46 PM  
Blogger Mariza said...

I've dreamt of that church basement ambrosia ever since that fateful day. I've yet to find a recipe for it.

11/26/2005 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home